Sunday January 7, I will start today by saying Happy New Year!!! I know a little late but if you are like us, the holiday season is a constant go, go, go time. It went by like a blur. They kids had a blast and it was good catching up with family that you don’t see throughout the year. We are excited to get back to a normal routine and to slow down and take a breath. Well slow down with the family get togethers anyway. It is time to start prepping for the spring growing season.
Alright, let’s catch up on the farm activities. Here we go:
- Just before Christmas we had a bull calf born. We named him Nicholas.
- The chickens are still working hard on preparing the garden spot.
- Ice has been our enemy these past couple weeks.
- Carrying buckets of water every morning and and having to break ice off the waterers throughout the day.
- Swapping the Rabbit waters out at night and the water nipples throughout the day.
- And dumping out all the water buckets out at night so they are not big ice cubes in the morning.
- The good news is the bad cold snap is on its way out.
- Our daily cattle ration is going well. We are continuing to roll a bale of hay out each day on the new spot.
- Daisy’s bull calf Poppy decided to get out and go on some day field trips to see the other cows for a few days in a row. We seem to have him under control now but he definitely gave me a cardio workout.
- Today our sow decided to take a field trip in the morning. Penelope had pushed a her hay on the electric line which allowed her to get out and visit the other animals.
Well, till next time. Get in the Dirt & Get Growing!!!
Kyle – a bearded farmer